Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Bye go the carefree days of summer...

Thursday will end our "carefree" summer months. I work hard to avoid scheduling appointments/procedures/surgeries in June and July. It's important to me to give Colin a break from it all...shoot...to give all of us a break from it all. So after over a month with nothing more than dentist and regular pediatric checkups, we head to Children's Thursday for a full spinal MRI. They will be looking to see if his cord has re-tethered and how it has healed internally. They'll also recheck the neck bones to look for increased fusion and to make sure that the bones are not compromising his spinal cord. Please pray hard for Colin that all is well.

Up until a week ago I was confident that it everything was well. From the date of surgery until last week -- over 6 months -- we were completely bed wetting and urgency free. Last week, we had two major bed wetting episodes and he has been "running" to the bathroom more. Amazing how a little pee can make a mom's mind turn. I have been working hard at trying not to think about the negative possibilities of anything to do with GoldenHar syndrome...to be honest...I have been failing.

The break from appointments in nice but returning is always hard...and returning with the first one an appointment with anesthesia makes it even more rough. He is dreading it and it brought him to tears yesterday. I hate this for him...I wish I could endure it all in his place.

Last fall rocked our world. After YEARS of running through lists of could happens, we were slapped with many that did happen in a matter of months...

I used to look forward to appointments. One more thing I could check off the list...one more appointment we'd made it through without any of the things that "could" happen. Now, I seem to be anticipating "routine" checkups months in advance. My mind has been filled with worry about the future and I can't seem to get my thoughts to avoid the negatives. It makes for long nights.

No comments: