Thursday, March 01, 2007

Get the Most Out of It.

Colin's appointment's went really well today. Audiology was uneventful. We have pretty much come to the conclusion that Colin won't wear the BAHA with the band. It makes him itch and sweat, and not surprisingly, he is unable to pronounce the benefits as worthy for such annoyance. So, our choices are to have an abutement placed...another surgery. They basically implant a metal button on his skull, behind the ear, to which the hearing aid attachs. There are obvious benefits of having the aid, and it would be much less annoying and bothersome for him to use daily. But, as parents, this is where the decision, once again, become difficult. There are also obvious concerns that come in regard to the social aspects of the aid and another "unncessary" surgery. I say unnecessary soley because it would not be required to keep him physically healthy. So, we have to talk...to each other and to him. But there's no rush and we have lots of time to decide what's right.

As far as his orthopedic appointment, his spinal curvature is unchanged. YAH! So no brace, not now, and hopefully not ever. His doctor also said that he believes that he has made it through two major growth spurts in the last year, unbraced and with no increase in the curve, and he thinks the chances are high that he will never reach the point of needing any type of rods or VEPTR surgery. Not that things can't change, but he is hopeful that his growth will not greatly effect his curvature. YAH!

Before heading to Children's we stopped by Jeremy's moms work for a quick visit. One of her coworkers made a comment as we left to make the "most of these trips, that's all you can do." Which made me chuckle. But, on the drive down, after dropping Chloe with Pap and Gram Carnahan (Thanks again!!), I realized how much I really do enjoy the uninterupted time with him. It's nice to talk and to listen to him replay the world as he sees it.

Here are a few of today's random thoughts from our little man:

After leaving the McDonald's Drive-Thru:
"Man, this McDonald's is good! We need to ask them their secret! It's better than the other McDonald's!"

As we headed to the city:
"We're in Pittsburgh, aren't we. You don't even have to answer. I know it from the satelitte 'WTAE, Channel 4, The Pittsburgh Channel!'"

As we went through the Squirrel Hill Tunnels:
"No, Mom! Don't head into the light! I said no! Come back!!!!"

As we headed toward the hospital:
"Yeah, I know why we don't live in the big city. People write on their walls and windows. It's all about the crime. People just do what they want in the city. That's why, huh..." and then he went on about a ranting homeless man. I was laughing so hard that I honestly don't remember what else he said.

So it's true, I do appreciate our appointment days. They are long, they are hectic, but they are also a break from routine and moments alone that we don't always get. And by the way, I love my kid. I laughed the entire trip down. And, as he slept on the way home I had some time to think. Colin forever changed my life in so many ways. God had a plan for me...he was it. Without him, I have no idea where I'd be right now, but I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't be anywhere near as content as I am today.

No comments: