Tuesday, November 14, 2006

My Thoughts on Spinal Fusion

I researched more today...a spinal fusion is something we have discussed in the past with Colin's ortho docs, but I guess they never termed it that, just described it. Basically, it is where they go in and attach rods, screws, etc. to his spine at the top and bottom of the curvature(s) and then use those rods to help decrease the curvature. From what I remember, this is something that they don't usually do until the curve hits 40 degrees. Colin's at the most read 34 and I personally believe it had something to do with the way he was standing that day. The x-ray technique for measuring the curve is not very accurate...which is extremely frustrating. His degree of curvature has ranged anywhere from 26 to 34. (the most recent being 28 after 6 months unbraced) The day he read at 34 led to the need for him to wear his brace, which covers from his hip bones to under his armpits. You can imagine how uncomfortable it is, thus my desire for a second opinion...our current doc insists on continued use. If this doc confirms as well, then we will go back to wearing it. I discussed that possibility with Colin today and he understands the importance of listening to the doctor. :) He is such a little man.

btw, he asked me if he was still contagious today. HA! What six-year-old uses contagious as a part of his regular vocabulary!

Anyway...I'm nearly 100% positive that a spinal fusion, although mentioned by the neuro doc will not be in his near future. Friday's appointment should confirm.

Colin headed back to school today without problem. Yah! And, brought home his report card...he is a genius of course! Like you had to ask! So proud! Chloe is doing find, minus a lingering rash...doctor will check tomorrow afternoon. And if anyone cares about what I did today...I tackled the mile high pile of filing and bills that had taken over my dining room table. All is well and in it's place...minus the bills of course. They are waiting in a single file line until their name comes up or we get a call. :) And life goes on...

No comments: