Saturday, November 04, 2006

A Tethered Spinal Cord.

That's our news. The neurosurgeon did call last night. I didn't post because I needed to take some time to absorb the reality of it all. Before Christmas, my baby will have to have surgery on his spinal cord. So scary...

Apparently, his sarynx (the center of the spinal cord) is increasing and the fat in his phylum (area at the bottom of his spine) is getting bigger, too. I honestly don't really understand it all yet, but will give you more details as I research. Anyway, this all is causing his spinal cord to tether at the end, just like a rope.

The surgery will release the spinal cord to keep it from getting worse. If it gets worse the risks are loss of bowel and bladder function as well as a loss of function with his lower extremities. She claims the risks with the surgery are low, which blows me away. I mean they'll be doing surgery on his spinal cord. The thing in our body that controls everything. The main stream for how our body works. So scary to me.

Please pray for strength for me. I am feeling unbelievably weak right now. Please pray that Jeremy and I are able to find the right words to share this with our boy. My heart breaks at the thought. Please pray that Chloe feels better today. She was still throwing up last night and only ate 2 ounces today.

3 comments:

Alivia's Momma said...

Oh Christi....
I have gotten news about my baby that I thought was inconcievable and scary and yet I look at her and realize that she is made perfectly. She is just at she is supposed to be. There are no suprises to our God. He isn't shocked by the news you got about Colin and he has a perfect plan for this surgery. Every second is already planned.
Not saying our mothers hearts don't scream at the percieved injustice. Just rest assured that you (and Colin and the fam) are being held closely in the most loving arms. I will pray for peace, wisdom and the easiest surgery of all time.
*e

Anonymous said...

colin is always in my prayers and thoughts as well as chloe, you and jeremy, you will get through this, colin is the strongest little boy i know

alicia

Anonymous said...

I can understand the emotional toll this has on you and Jeremy- it's a lot to deal with on so many levels. These tribulations are just little speed bumps in the long life that Colin has ahead. He's such a cute and happy little boy who has nothing but good things and good news to come. We will pray for you every chance we get! Love, Katie